Wednesday 30 May 2007

Reading List

I have set myself a task for the following year or so. I was looking on Wikipedia at the list of best-selling books globally and decided that I'd like to read those I've yet to read. This is helped somewhat by the fact that I'll soon be married and will inherit some of those titles!

I've already read some of the books on the list: The Bible (#1), the Qur'an (#3), Pilgrim's Progress (#6), Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (#9), The Da Vinci Code (#13), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (#14), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (#17), The Alchemist (#25), One Hundred Years of Solitude (#30) and the Westminster Shorter Catechism (#33).

I think this little challenge will be the incentive I need to finally read The Lord of the Rings (#11) - I was put off a few years ago because of all the hype - and to read the other Harry Potter books that I haven't yet tackled. To Kill a Mockingbird (#37) is one I've meant to read for ages but never started. I'm also looking forward to reading The Book of Common Prayer (#5) - I have read bits and pieces but could not say I've read the whole thing. Foxe's Book of Martyrs (#7) should also be interesting reading I think.

I guess I'm less excited about Quotations from Chairman Mao (#2) and The Book of Mormon (#8) and have yet to decide whether I'll bother at all with the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (#36) or Xinhua Zidian (#4), which turns out to be a Chinese dictionary...

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: