Saturday 9 August 2008

Wall-E: "I want to stop surviving and start living"

We went tonight to see Wall-E, a film about an inquisitive robot that teaches humans of the future what it means to truly live and to be truly human. (In fact, Wall-E is perhaps the most 'human' of all the characters in the film).

It was an excellent film: beautifully put together and actually very funny in places. Who would have thought a love story about two robots (even two robots that can't really communicate in human language) could be so touching?

There's some excellent reviews already out there by Dave Kirkman and Mark Meynell that I can't really beat. They capture something of the main meaning of the film and think about its pointers to the gospel. (I'd perhaps add that the film gives a brilliant picture of what it means to be alive but simultaneously 'dead' in the most important ways). But before reading their reviews make sure you go and see the film yourself - I don't think you'll regret it.

2 comments:

Dave K said...

Wa hay! Glad you saw such a great film. Not sure that you couldn't beat my 'review', although I agree that Mark Meynell's is in a class of it's own. I love your film reviews.

I know what you mean about being alive and dead in the most important ways. with a screen so near our face it is difficult to see the rest of the world (it's beauty and it's needs) or ourselves for that matter.

I notice I'm saying all this while reading blogs when I should be sleeping, reading, or writing an essay. Distractions...

roschler said...

Hello Peter,

I thought you might like to see a 90 second video I made of Wall-E playing the piano and going on a new magic adventure I call Flight Of The Wall-E Bee.