Monday 24 September 2007

The very nature of a servant

I've been mulling over in recent days the difference between 'serving' and 'being a servant'.

The thought originated when I was chatting with Pete Chilvers, who was a UCCF staff worker when I was a Relay Worker. He's now working with a church in Sunderland. Then I was listening yesterday to a sermon on Philippians 2:5-11, where Mike Cain of Emmanuel Church in Bristol brilliantly describes the 'Jesus way', serving without limits and not calling upon one's rights. It's a superb listen, well worth downloading.

It seems to me that the difference is attitude. 'Serving' is something that we do from time to time; 'being a servant' seems to be more of a conscious effort to want to serve. In being a servant, one puts their own rights to one side, just as Christ did in ultimately humbling himself, going to the cross.

I'm praying that God will not only make me willing to serve, but will give me the attitude of a servant, particularly this coming week as Freshers arrive at the University of Cumbria. I'm praying that God will make me willing to do things that are potentially highly costly for these people who have very particular needs.

No comments: