Friday 20 July 2007

I thank my God every time I remember you....

I met a friend for lunch today who became a Christian about half a year ago in the follow-up to one of the CU missions that took place up here. For me, meeting with new Christians is one of the very best parts of my job. Today, I have returned home with my heart full of joy.

Fresh in my mind are Paul's words from Philippians, that 'he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion' (Philippians 1:6). I'm delighted to see the way in which God is obviously at work in my friend's life. He speaks with a smile on his face as he reflects on the grace that God has shown him. I know few new Christians with such a brilliant grasp of grace. He longs to see his family share in the grace that he himself has received. He hates the sin which clings on in his life and spoke of how he longs the Spirit to give him new habits, and the frustration that he feels at not changing more quickly. He loves the church he has found in his own town (having recently graduated) and is looking for ways to serve the other Christians there. He has a real humility in knowing that he's not the finished article.

I think that today I felt some of the same joy that Paul felt as he thought about the Philippians. It is marvellous to reflect upon the works of the God we worship - the God who saves people by grace and then, in his ongoing grace, continues to change them to be more like Jesus. His word is powerful and true and active!

No comments: